A unique app, SKOUT, which helps individuals connect with others and broaden their social connections, conducted a poll recently of nearly 25,000 individuals worldwide to ascertain the current direction towards building and maintaining friendships online.
According to SKOUT CEO and co-founder Christian Wiklund, “Technology enables us to connect and stay in touch with new friends around the world,” said Christian. He further stated, “We facilitated more than 680 million connections on our platform last year, and as our latest survey shows, having friends you met online is the norm in today’s digital society.”
Results from the survey conducted by SKOUT revealed:
- 75% of the individuals online worldwide have not met individuals they call a friend
- More the 75% of US individuals online have online friends but have never met them
- Nearly 85% of online individuals indicated they would welcome meeting an online friend
- The majority of individuals with online friends have a minimum of five
- 62% of US individuals with friends have five or more and 41% have 10 or more
- Approximately 65% of US individuals have a foreign friendship
- Online friendships are a worldwide affair that is enhanced with mobile telephones
- Over 90% of US individuals communicate with online friends with their mobile telephone versus actually being online and nearly 60% speak with their online friends every day.
Psychologist Irene S. Levine, Ph.D., commented, “Over the past decade, dramatic changes have taken place in the way we live, work and communicate but the need for friendship remains unchanged and essential to our well-being,” She further indicated that “Online friendships can complement ‘in real life’ ones, providing many of the same vital benefits, such as social support and feelings of connectedness.”
As the largest application for finding new friends and broadening an individual’s social networking, SKOUT encompasses over 180 nations around the world and can be utilized in over 15 different languages. SKOUT was developed to offer a safe, simple way for individuals to connect with each other.
Skout was developed in 2007 and is based in San Francisco, California, in the United States. More information is available about Skout at http://www.skout.com